Monday, February 16, 2009

Sour Cream Savvy


I was able to get sour cream for $.40 with my coupons (doubled at HT) and did a little stockpiling. No the picture is not upside down, they store for longer that way! (I have yet to find a site that says that sour cream freezes well) In searching for some different recipes, I was hungry...don't we all get that way when we see those yummy pictures on the screen or in the book? I wanted to make chicken spaghetti for dinner but did not have any sauce. I did not give up! I had some tomato bisque soup, lots of seasonings, sour cream, and a bag of shredded cheese. The color was interesting, it reminded me of vodka sauce (w/o the vodka) and voila, a new recipe. I was concerned with dh liking it - him not being a huge fan of sour cream. I asked him to finish his first plate before I told him what was in it. He hesitantly agreed, but ate heartily. I told him what it was, and he said he liked it. I asked it if he liked it enough to eat it again...his answer was YES. I scored a new recipe with using sour cream!!! What recipes do you have?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
My meal consisted of 2 cans tomato bisque soup ($.50 each)
on-hand seasonings
chicken ($2 worth from a BOGO frozen bag)
bag of cheese ($1.25), sour cream ($.40)
parmesan cheese ($.25 worth)
croutons($.29 for bag-which WAS EMPTY by the end of the meal)
salad ($.50 worth)
spritzer dressing (FREE)
garlic bread ($.50 worth)
= My WHOLE family meal was under $7 total and we had enough sauce to freeze for another meal...not too bad!

2 comments:

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Don't you love it when you create something like that? Such fun when its combined with a great deal.

A. M. Newsom said...

Yes, it makes you feel somewhat accomplished to be able to create something new from items that you got for "dirt cheap"!