Monday, March 16, 2009

Shrove Tuesday Remembrance - Pancakes with Pigs



Many people celebrate the day before Lent begins with a HUGE pancake dinner. We decided to do this at home this year. I was getting the bacon ready to cook; my ds5 is watching me maneuver the bacon onto the microwave plate and says, " Mmmmm, that's a pig!"

My dd8 says, "I hope it's not Babe!" (We had seen the movie not too long ago).

My ds replies, "'No, this was a bad pig."

I also cooked some smoked sausage in a pot on the stove, and my dd8 tells her brother, "The lid that bubbles is the bad pig trying to get out!" He didn't like to look at the boiling pot after this!



All pig talk aside, we had a marvelous meal which my kids thoroughly enjoyed (bacon and smoked sausage being two of the few meats that they actually eat!). I made humongous pancakes and topped them with whipped cream and (mine) peaches (not a regular practice although it may quickly become one!).




******INGREDIENTS FOR THE MEAL******
*The Bisquick box (with which I made the pancakes): FREE with coupons.

*Peaches: 15 cents on clearance.

*Cool Whip: FREE with coupon.

*Bacon: 85 cents with coupon.

*Smoked sausage: $1.20 on clearance.

So our whole FAT TUESDAY FEAST cost us (under) a whopping $3.00 for the whole family!!!

No comments: